The day after H. P. Hanssen died in May 1936, Prime Minister Thorvald Stauning announced that the Danish government would take the initiative to erect a monument to his memory. In his application to the financial committee, Stauning stated as his grounds ‘the remarkable importance of this man’s work to the Danish identity in Southern Jutland, both during foreign rule and subsequently in his capacity as a leading light in the protection of the Danish border’.
The application was accepted and a competition for the design announced. This was won by the Danish sculptor Axel Poulsen. The monument was carved in granite from the Danish island of Bornholm. It was unveiled in 1947 by the Danish Prime Minister Knud Kristensen and officially handed over to the Municipality of Aabenraa. The green space in front of the monument was named Genforeningshaven (The Reunification Garden), and the name of the road was changed to H. P. Hanssens Gade.