Dannebrog is hoisted at Dybbøl Hill. On 11 July 1920, before the reunification festivities at the Dybbøl Redoubts, a tall flagpole was erected on Dybbøl Hill near Dybbøl Mill. It was the tallest flagpole in Denmark. Special permission was given to fly the Danish Splitflag (swallow-tailed flag) here, and Danish-Americans in Chicago donated a large Dannebrog in silk to fly at this place of symbols and memories. This painting immortalises the raising of the flag on 11 July 1921, the anniversary of the reunification festivities in the King's Redoubt. The painting was done from a photograph.